Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

If you would like to be contacted about a comment, you must leave me a way to reach you. Please include your email address. Thank you!

Follow This Blog!

Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Secret of Kells

Recently, my children were watching something on Netflix streaming.  There is a section of the service that they can access that has only children's movies and shows.  They can pick pretty much anything to watch out of this section as everything is rated "G" for general audience.  On this particular day they picked "The Secret of Kells".

I didn't realize that they were watching the movie until it was almost over.  I had viewed this animated movie a few years ago.  I felt is was well done.  It is a  reflection of Irish folklore and a representation of the priceless national treasure known at the Book of Kells.

When I found out what my girls were watching, I asked if they were enjoying it.  My eight year old indicated that the young boy in the story was the best character.  She really liked him.  Her most important point of the story was his creation and drawing of the pages within the book.  The main character also saved the book from destruction.

Once the movie ended, my daughter decided to draw.  This is one of her favorite things to do as she does want to be an artist someday.  Her drawing was of a young girl carrying the book that was saved by the boy in the story.  She said that her outfit was religious.  In just a minute or two, she drew her "take away" from the story.


As quickly as the movie ended and she drew her picture, she was off to play with her sister.  I did stop her briefly though to tell her and show her something important.

I reminded my daughter of our Irish heritage.  Then, I asked her if she understood that the Book of Kells are real.  I pulled up some photos of the books and pages online.  She was surprised to learn that I'd seen these books in person.  I told her that someday she too can view these books in person.

In the end, a little piece of Irish folklore and historical significance entered our house and left an impression on that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment