Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

If you would like to be contacted about a comment, you must leave me a way to reach you. Please include your email address. Thank you!

Follow This Blog!

Friday, August 5, 2011

Ireland - Part 3 - St. Fechin's

When I tell people where my Flanagan's originate in Ireland sometimes people find the name of the location rather odd.  Even some Irish nationals haven't heard of it.  That is strange because I thought everyone knew where Termonfechin was located.  I have to laugh because prior to 2004, I could barely place it on a map.

My previous post about Termonfechin is as follows (Click the link): Termonfechin

At this juncture, I am not sure that I have much to add to my original post except to say that all of the Flanagan's buried at St. Fechin's Cemetery in Termonfechin are from the same family line.  So, are there other Flanagan's buried there or nearby?  That is possible but other Flanagan's from the early 1700s in and around the Termonfechin Area appear to have migrated to slightly differing locations within County Louth.  
                                
It would be interesting to trace and track down Patrick Flanagan circa 1700 of Termonfechin's brothers - James and Peter Flanagan.  I wonder about their lines sometimes.  The family line from past to present belonging to Patrick of Termonfechin is fairly well mapped out.  There are some mysteries as to what happened to certain Flanagan's though.

Copyright 2004 - High Cross St. Fechin's

Copyright 2004 - St. Fechin's Church Steeple


St. Fechin's Church is now closed and it is apparently not safe to enter the church.  That is such a shame.  This church has so much history attached to it from being once a Roman Catholic Church to the change over to the Church of Ireland by the British.  The cemetery holds so much history too and it's upkeep is handled by the local community who is mainly Catholic.

In California where I live, we consider buildings that are over 50 years old to be very old.  When you come across something that is over 100 years old, we deem it a historical building or location.  Not every historical site can be saved and restored.  Can you imagine the challenges, costs, and undertakings of saving and restoring a site in Ireland that is over 200 years old?  I hope that St. Fechin's can be saved and restored.  There is history that lives in that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment